In these cold winter months, I don’t find anything quite as comforting as a big bowl of Chili! I developed this healthy recipe years ago so that not only was it delicious, it was also satisfying and good for you! By using dried black beans instead of canned you can decrease the sodium in this recipe. Perfect for anyone with high blood pressure or if you are trying to watch your sodium intake!
Turkey Black Bean Chili
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 lb ground turkey
¼ lb dried black beans, cooked
1 bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. onion powder
½ Tbsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
Cayenne pepper, optional
28 oz. Diced Tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add peppers, onions and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until lightly browned, another 5 minutes.
- Add all of the spices and the diced tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer on low about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have reduced and thickened.
- Add cooked black beans to chili and stir to combine.
- Serve on its own or over brown rice with your favorite toppings i.e.: cheese, sour cream, avocado, etc.
- Rinse beans in cold water then drain well.
- Soak in 3 to 4 cups of water for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- In a small saucepan, cover black beans with about 2-3” water above the beans. Boil on low heat about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add more water to the pot as necessary.
If you enjoyed this recipe and want additional help planning healthy meals for you and your nutrition, schedule an appointment with one of our registered dietitians in Collingswood, NJ. Vita Nutrition services has several specialties including family nutrition therapy, sports nutrition, eating disorder counseling, and medical nutrition therapy. If you are not sure what’s right for your unique situation and health, schedule a free consultation and we will point you in the right direction.